Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Strawberry Compote


Once upon a time I was allergic to strawberries. Yes, this beautiful red fruit was once my enemy.

It wasn't always this way, I could eat them by the handfuls and be fine. Then one day red spots started showing up all over my body and from that point on, I was cut off.

How could you cut a little girl off from her favourite fruit?! It was pure torture, not just for me but for my whole family as my dear Mother didn't let them come into the house. I think everyone secretly resented me...



After a few years my parents and I decided it was time to try one again and see what happens. I ate it and waited... and waited... and no red spots appeared... Hallelujah!! The dark clouds were parting and the sun was shining down on me, I was cured! Strawberries and I could once again be BFF's!
From that moment on I have appreciated strawberries that much more, if they are in the house they don't last long.

And just knowing the strawberry season is right around the corner here in Ontario, my mouth is salivating at the thought of eating them by the handfuls.

I love putting them on spinach salads, ice cream, cereal, french toast, pancakes, oatmeal, yogurt and the list goes on and on!

This strawberry compote is a perfect topping to everything I listed above (expect the salad!) it's basically a mix between a jam and a syrup, if it was appropriate I would probably drink it..
...wait.. what?

I didn't say that...

Strawberry Compote

adapted from My Madison Bistro

4 cups strawberries, cut into quarters
1/2 - 1 cup sugar (depending on sweetness of berries, taste and adjust)
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tsp pure vanilla


Put strawberries, sugar and lemon in sauce pan. Cook over medium heat until bubbly, reduce heat to low and cook for approximately 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.


Remove from heat and add vanilla, stir to combine. Transfer to bowl and let cool, once cool wrap with cling wrap and store in refrigerator until ready to serve.


This recipe does make a lot, please feel free to half the recipe.

If you end up with extra and not enough time to use it, store in air tight container and freeze.





Enjoy!















No comments:

Post a Comment