Sunday, February 12, 2012

Macaroni and Cheese

OK, so this may not fall into the "healthy" category of my lifestyle but I do feel strongly about the right to indulge every once in awhile! When the mood for comfort food hits, mac and cheese is the winner! Creamy, cheesy, goodness on a cold winter day... now that is comforting!


This recipe is taken from the one my Mom has made for years, mixed with a recipe I found on the Pioneer Woman's website. I mixed my favourite elements from both to create my own!

Ingredients - (serves 4-6 people)

3 cups dry macaroni (I used rotini noodles as I was out, but loved the way the sauce stuck to all it's layers that I may use this kind of noodle next time!)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 - 2 cups grated old cheese
1/4 cups butter
1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 cups milk
2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp seasoning salt (Lawry's brand is good!)
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
3 dashes hot sauce (Frank's brand is good!)

Cook macaroni but not all the way, cook it so it is still slightly firm as we will be baking it in the oven and will continue to cook in there. Drain and set aside.

In a larger saucepan on medium-low heat melt butter and sprinkle in flour. Whisk together constantly until the floury smell is gone and it smells slightly like pie crust, this takes approximately 5 minutes.

Pour in cold milk, add mustard, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce, whisk until smooth. The mixture will start to thicken (approximately 5 minutes), when it does, reduce heat to low.

Add in onions, mix together. Set aside about 1/4 cup of the cheese, add the rest into the milk mixture, whisking slowly until smooth.
Add salts and pepper, taste sauce and adjust seasoning as needed.

Spray a 9x13 glass dish with cooking spray, add macaroni and pour cheese sauce over, stir to combine (you can also do this in the pot if it is easier to combine in there!) sprinkle the top with the reserved 1/4 cup of cheese and bake in a 350F oven for 20-25 minutes or until the top is golden.






ENJOY!!



1 comment:

  1. Pretty much the standard recipe except for the onion. Even down to the hot sauce which I love to put into a lot of my food.  ┢┦aΡpy

    ReplyDelete